Sunday, February 14, 2010

Thoughts on persecution and suffering

It really has been a long time since I posted here. I actually forgot that I had this blog! Last Friday I went to Elevate, a combined youth service run by Crossroads church. It was a great chance to gather with people and worship God, and I love the songs that they played. Worship is definitely not limited to music, but there is something special about connecting our heart to God's through song.

The last time I went to Elevate, the talk was mainly focused on evangelism, telling the gospel message and imploring people who haven't already to receive the gift of this message. It was a heartfelt message that really touched on the amazing love that God has for us. This time, the talk was about the persecuted church, about people who follow Christ in countries where Christianity is illegal. The speaker was from Voice of the Martyrs, a group that seeks to raise awareness of these persecuted brothers and sisters, and to support them in prayer. Honestly, I can't say that I liked the talk. It was incredibly challenging to hear about the suffering these people endure for Christ, and to think about the possibility of that ever happening to me. But whether I like that message or not doesn't really matter. It did make me feel uncomfortable. But, then, that is the point. I'm not supposed to like the fact that Christians are suffering. I suppose the aim of these kind of talks are to wake us up from our comfort and to feel empathy for our brothers and sisters, to stir us into action, whether that is through prayer, through financial support or through actually physically going to support them. I have been challenged to pray regularly for the countries that outlaw Christianity. I will pray that they become more open to the gospel, and that the Christians in these countries will remain strong for Christ even if they do endure suffering.

One of the reasons I felt uncomfortable, and this may be a testimony to the selfish nature of humanity, is that I kept questioning my ability to handle persecution like that of which I was hearing. I heard stories of people being put in prison, of people being physically tortured and killed because of their faith in Christ. I heard stories of people who were constantly in danger who still kept faithfully preaching the gospel to the people around them. I don't know if I could deal with the extreme persecution they were speaking of. Honestly, I would hate that to happen to me. Honestly, I don't want to suffer. I'm not really scared of being killed quickly, because I know I would go straight to heaven. I'm scared of having to endure through persecution and suffering.

The speaker reminded us that we, as Christians, believe that after death there will be everlasting glory that be far greater than any suffering we endure on earth, therefore we should live with that eternity in mind. Really challenging teaching. Something I believe in, though I don't know if I'm completely there yet. I don't know if anyone can truly live for eternity, not fearing suffering or death, without the strength of Christ within them. I am always growing, and I know that the Spirit of God is always transforming me. At the end of the talk the speaker encouraged people to live life fully for Christ, expecting the suffering that Jesus speaks of, but not counting the cost. I couldn't shout out my agreement like some other people. All I could do was agree quietly and ask God to help me want that life more and more. To help me live that life. I do believe, help my unbelief.

Sometimes when we hear stories of how Christians are being persecuted in our world, we can get worried that we wouldn't be ready if it happened to us. We do need to be ready. Maybe we will be sent by God to those same countries, or maybe the same kind of persecution will one day come to our country. But, ultimately, living for Christ is about serving him in whatever circumstance you are in. We have so much freedom to be Christian in Australia, but I know that I do not make the most of this freedom. To be ready for persecution, I need to learn how to proclaim Christ and serve him in the freedom. Of course, there is persecution and suffering for Christ even in countries where Christianity is not illegal. Serving Christ might mean derision by family and friends, it might mean missing out on a job opportunity, it might mean forgoing material possessions. I pray that God will help me to serve him ever more whole-heartedly, not counting the cost of suffering, in the circumstances he has placed me in.

No comments:

Post a Comment